Certificate in Engineering Level 4
Certificate in Engineering – City & Guilds Level 2 (equivalent to L4 QQI)
3 Mandatory Modules
• Working in Engineering (Ref 201- 7 credits)
• Principles of Engineering Technology (Ref 202- 7 credits)
• Principles of Manufacturing Technology (Ref 253- 7 credits)
4 Optional Modules
• Machining components using milling techniques (Ref 204 – 7 credits)
• Machining components using turning techniques (Ref 205 – 7 credits)
• Using Bench Fitting Techniques (Ref 206- 7 credits)
• Using Computer Aided Manufacturing Processes (Ref 207- 7 credits)
Certificate: minimum of 35 credits (3+2)
Diploma: minimum of 42 credits (3+3)
Candidates requiring improved digital literacy strongly encouraged to
do ETB EXPLORE Initiative for Digital Skills first (Six weeks part time,
mostly delivered on site).
Target Audience: General operatives willing & interested to get a
qualification & progress.
Certificate in Manufacturing & Design Engineering Level 6
Delivered by Institute of Technology Carlow in partnership with Waterford and Wexford Education and Training Board (WWETB).
The aim of this programme is to provide graduates with core skills and
competency in mechanical 3D design, quality control, materials and
finishing techniques, CNC machine programming and Additive
The graduates will also develop report writing and presentation skills as
part of their applied work-based project, which will incorporate the
application of their learning to their role within the company.
This programme is delivered through hands-on training for a range of
manufacturing processes. The programme has been designed for
students with all levels of industry experience and candidates can apply
for entry via the Institutes process of Recognition of Prior Learning
The programme will provide the engineering knowledge behind each of
manufacturing processes, allowing for greater operator input into the
This programme supports experienced operators withcore mechanical
engineering skills and provides a pathway for future education and
Certificate in Innovative Materials for Industry 4.0 Level 9
This Certificate in Innovative Materials for Industry 4.0 received funding
under the Government’s Human Capital Initiative and will be delivered as a partnership between Institute of TechnologyCarlow and Dublin City University, in close collaboration with our industry partners.
This exciting new Level 9, 30 credit programme includes 4 modules
which can be applied for individually as standalone micro-credentials
• Advanced Manufacturing for Industry 4.0 (5 Credits) – Delivered
• Materials Selection in Sustainable Engineering Design (5 credits)
– Delivered by IT Carlow
• Post Processing for Smart Industry (5 credits) – Delivered by IT
• Data Analysis for Advanced Manufacturing (5 credits)
– Delivered by DCU
AMASE (Additive Manufacturing Advancing the South East)
The Waterford Institute of Technology led AMASE (Additive
Manufacturing Advancing the South-East) project has recieved over
€2m in funding under the Government’s Human Capital Initiative: Pillar 3.
As part of this initiative WIT in partnership with Institute of Technology
Carlow, in close collaboration with our industrial partners have developed a BSc in Additive Manufacturing (60 credits at level 7) along with an integral suite of 10-credit Certificates in:
• Introduction to Additive Manufacturing
• Design for Additive Manufacturing
• Additive Manufacturing Health & Safety and Regulatory Affairs
• Additive Manufacturing Lab Technologies & Post Processing
These proposed new courses are all currently subject to a validation
process within WIT. Only following successful completion of the
validation process would they be opened for applications.
BSc in Industrial Networks & Cybersecurity Level 9
The Postgrad Diploma in Industrial Networks & Cybersecurity programme aims to widen and enhance the existing skills of learners who typically have existing Operations Technology (OT) skills and supplement these with a strong, skills-based knowledge of Industrial Networking and Cybersecurity.
Graduates of the Postgraduate Diploma in Industrial Networks and Cybersecurity programme will acquire skills to bridge the gap between the manufacturing operations and the business enterprise operations and will gain a range of skills, techniques and approaches to equip them to best develop and protect the network and the processes in the manufacturing zone.
• Graduates can work and collaborate with senior management, particularly those with responsibility for operations and security, operations engineers, IT engineers as well as vendors and information security consultants.
• Analyse, design, interpret performance data, pinpoint improvement strategies, and understand the network and the cybersecurity threat landscape.
• Develop the skills and technical knowledge to be the focal point within the industrial operations team for networks and cybersecurity.
BEng in Applied Materials Level 9
Graduates of the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Materials programme will learn to use materials to solve real-world design problems. Learners will acquire and apply a diverse range of technical and professional skills to problem-solve relevant industrial challenges by harnessing the evolution of the manufacturing terrain, adapting the developed applied knowledge, and blending individuality within the context of teamwork.
• Become a leader in delivering sustainable, state-of-the-art materials engineering solutions for enhanced productivity and cutting-edge product design.
• Analyse, design, and interpret performance data and materials modifications, to pinpoint improvement strategies, and understand the advanced manufacturing landscape.
• Work and collaborate with industrial and non-industrial teams as the Lead Engineer in projects related to product innovation, advanced manufacturing, and process-enriching technologies.
Successful graduates may apply to undertake a Master of Engineering and following this a PhD at Institute of Technology Carlow or at another Higher Education Institution.
BSc in Industrial Measurement & Control Level 9
This instrumentation-focused programme provides a progression opportunity for a wide range of learners already qualified at National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) Level 6 who wish to develop their current skills in the core areas of industrial process measurement, control, and automation technologies.
This programme is designed for those who have completed an Electrical, Mechanical or related apprenticeship and who have subsequently attained 2 years post apprenticeship experience. The programme is also suitable for those who possess an NFQ Level 6 Higher Certificate in Engineering or Technology (or equivalent) and who have subsequently attained 3 years post qualification experience.
Graduates from this programme will have essential skills and knowledge allowing them to undertake or contribute to the implementation of a range of tasks involving common measurement and control technologies used across a wide array of engineering systems in industry today.
This will include tasks such as: